IN ORDER TO APPLY FOR ACCEPTANCE TO THE VISUAL IMPAIRMENT PREPARATION (VIP) PROGRAM:
(1) First, we would like to know you are going to apply. For VI, contact Michael Munro at 936-468-1036 or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org; for O&M contact Tracy Hallak at 936-468-1173 or email@example.com. Be sure to include information on:
- your city and state
- your daytime and evening phone numbers
- the program (TVI, COMS, Master's, or Dual) that you are interested in pursuing
(2) complete the SFASU Graduate School application form by clicking here. After you have completed the application and paid the $50 application fee, go to the next step.
(3) complete a VIP Program application form by clicking here.
(4) submit a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor to Michael. If you intend to apply for a Master's degree, you should submit two additional letters of recommendation to:
- Visual Impairment Prepartion Program
- Stephen F. Austin State University
- Department of Human Services
- PO Box 13019 SFA Station
- Nacogdoches, TX 75962
(5) submit the following three written assignments
a) statement of philosophy of teaching,
b) your understanding of the role of a VI teacher or COMS, and
c) your reasons for deciding to pursue this career move.
(6) submit official copies of EACH of your transcripts from ANY COMMUNITY COLLEGE, COLLEGE, OR UNIVERSARY you have attend to Michael Munro at the address above. This includes college credit you may have earned in high school.
You will not be able to register for classes unless ALL of your materials and transcripts are on file.
If you are working toward an endorsement only, and are NOT interested in getting a Master's degree, you should still select Special Education as your major and choose either Orientation and Mobility or Visual Impairment as an area of specialization. Click here if you require step-by-step instructions for completing this step.
**Please note: the area of specialization selection menu is slightly changed from the screenshot provided.
(7) where required, complete a phone interview with the VIP Program Candidate Selection Committee.
Having a letter of acceptance from the Graduate School does NOT necessarily mean that you have been accepted into VIP Program. In order to be accepted into our program, you MUST have a signed letter from Michael Munro stating that you have been accepted to participate in the VIP Program by the Candidate Selection Committee.
THE DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS IS THE THIRD MONDAY OF MARCH!!