TO APPLY FOR ACCEPTANCE TO THE VISUAL IMPAIRMENT PREPARATION (VIP) PROGRAM:
(1) First, let us know you intend to apply. For applicants interested in VI, contact Michael Munro at 936-468-1036 or email@example.com; for those interested in O&M, please contact Tracy Hallak at 936-468-1173 or firstname.lastname@example.org. Please the following information in your inquiry:
- your city and state
- your daytime and evening phone numbers
- the program (TVI, COMS, Masters Degree, or Dual-Certification) you are interested in pursuing
(2) Complete the SFASU Graduate School application form by clicking here. After you have completed the application and paid the $50 application fee, go to the next step.
(3) Complete a VIP Program application form by clicking here.
(4) Submit a letter of recommendation from your current supervisor. If you wish to pursue a Master's degree, you should submit two additional letters of recommendation to:Visual Impairment Preparation Program
Stephen F. Austin State University
Department of Human Services
PO Box 13019 SFA Station
Nacogdoches, TX 75962
(5) Submit the following written documentation (three separate items)
a) 1-2 page statement of your present teaching philosophy (for VI applicants) or rehabilitation philosophy (for O&M applicants)
b) 1-2 pages detailing your understanding of the role of a VI teacher or O&M specialist, and
c) 1 page describing your reasons for deciding to pursue this career move.
(6) Submit official copies of EACH of your transcripts from ALL COMMUNITY COLLEGE, COLLEGE, OR UNIVERSITY you have attend to Donna Wood at the address above. This includes college credit you may have earned in high school.
You will NOT be able to register for classes until
ALL of your materials and transcripts are on file
with Ms. Donna Wood, Program/Grant Specialist.
If you are working toward an endorsement only, and are NOT interested in getting a Master's degree, you should still select Special Education as your major and choose either Orientation and Mobility or Visual Impairment as an area of specialization. Click here if you require step-by-step instructions for completing this step.
**Please note: the area of specialization selection menu is slightly changed from the screenshot provided.
(7) Where required, complete a phone interview with the VIP Program Candidate Selection Committee.
Having a letter of acceptance from the Graduate School does NOT necessarily mean that you have been accepted into VIP Program. In order to verify your acceptance into our program, you MUST have a signed letter from Michael Munro stating that you have been accepted by the Candidate Selection Committee to participate in the VIP Program.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS
3rd Monday of March!