Circle Summaries November 2001
Return to Teaching Circles Summaries front page.
- Monday 2:00 Session (Jill Carrington's group)
- Wednesday 3:00 Session (Marsha Bayless' group)
- Thursday 9:30 Sesison (Melane McCuller's group)
- Thursday 4:00 Sesison (DawnElla Rust's group)
- Friday 12:00 Session (Lauren Scharff's group)
Nov. 1, 2001 in the HPE Complex Room 207
ATTENDANCE: Brenda Marques, Julia Ballenger, Kelly Salsberry, and DawnElla Rust
The following article served as the focal point for discussion.
Chickering, A. W. & Gamson, Z. F. (1987). Seven principles for good practice in undergraduate education. AAHE Bulletin.
The 7 principles are:
1. encourage contacts between students and faculty
2. develops reciprocity and cooperation among students
3. uses active learning techniques
4. gives prompt feedback
5. emphasizes time on task
6. communicates high expectations
7. respects diverse talents and ways of learning
Brenda Marques brought with her an article that dealt with the "7 Principles" article, it can be found at http://www.tss.uoguelph.ca/tahb/tah8f.html
The web site article identified specific practices/behaviors that described the "7 Principles". It allowed those in attendance of the Teaching Circle to score their practices/behaviors in undergraduate education. Everyone needs to get this web site article because it allows the individual an opportunity to identify his or her strengths and weaknesses. Another excellent article dealing with the "7 Practices" can be found a http://www.eng.usf.edu/~kaw/publish/sevenhabits.html
Next meeting is Thursday, Dec. 6 at 4 pm in the HPE Complex Room 207.
Back to top.