Offering the first classes in 1923, Stephen F. Austin began as a teacher's college. Today, the university is home to seven different colleges providing more than 11,000 graduate and undergraduate students with more than 80 undergraduate majors and 120 areas of study and nearly 60 graduate degrees, including two doctoral programs.
The university is located in Nacogdoches, Texas, in the middle of the Pineywwods of East Texas forests approximately 180 miles east of Dallas via Interstate 20 and 140 miles north on Houston via US Highway 59. The main campus includes 360 acres in the heart of Nacogdoches, part of the original homestead of Thomas J. Rusk, early Texas patriot and United States senator. The university includes:
- 28 instructional buildings and 19 residence halls and apartments on its main campus
- 642-acre agriclutural center for beef, poultry and swine production and an equine center
- an 18.7-acre experimental forest in southwestern Nacogdoches County
- and a 25.3-acre forestry field station on Lake Sam Rayburn.
SFA is a campus on the move. Construction under way or planned totals nearly $107 million. The university broke ground in 2004 for a $35.4 million renovation and expansion of the University Center and adjacent parking garage. A $17.5 million four-story residence hall and detached parking garage project is scheduled to be completed by January 2006. Also planned are a $22 million student recreation center and a $32 million residence hall-parking complex.
The mission of Stephen F. Austin State University is to provide students a foundation for success, a passion for learning and a commitment to responsible global citizenship in a community dedicated to teaching, research, creativity and service.
Why should you consider SFA?
- SFA offers a perfect combination of state university academic breadth and quality with private college-style personalization.
- Knowledgeable, caring faculty double as mentors and friends.
- Students study, live and thrive on a beautiful campus located in East Texas.
- Internships, hands-on study and research opportunities encourage our graduates to hone critical thinking and communication skills which prepare them for rewarding careers and fulfilling lives.